Images courtesy of CSUN.
California State University, Northridge
Los Angeles, California
The mission of the Student Recreation Center of the University Student Union at CSUN is to foster the achievement of students’ educational goals by facilitating a strong connection between students and their campus community.
We are an engaging and energetic campus program that develops students through inclusive activities, meaningful employment opportunities, leadership experiences and innovative technologies, facilities and services.
- The SRC offers over 40 different types of complimentary group exercise class formats taught by certified instructors.
- 59% of participants who attended their first group exercise class in 2017 have continued to take classes.
- Free day-use lockers available for members in training zones.
- Fitness and sports equipment can be rented for free by members in pro shop.
- Free fitness evaluations for all members.
- Three gender inclusive restrooms and a gender inclusive locker room.
- More than 5,000 followers on Student Recreation Center Instagram account.
- Wall of Champions display case for past and present intramural winners and program participants.
- The Oasis Wellness Center is one of the first dedicated wellness spaces in the Cal State system.
- 2014 LA Architectural Award for Education
- 2013 National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Outstanding Sports Facility Award
- 2013 AIA Education Facility Design Award
- AIA 2013 San Fernando Valley – Design Award, Citation
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Status Certification
- Athletic Business 2012 Facility Merit Award
- 2012 AIA San Diego – Design and Vision Award, Citation
- 2010 AIA Orange County – Design Award, Merit
- 2009 AIA San Fernando Valley – Design Award, Citation
- On April 17-18, 2007, 57% of CSUN students who voted passed the referendum to build a recreation center.
- The Student Recreation Center is a 138,000-square-foot facility for exercise and leisure activity that promotes lifelong health and wellness.
- The SRC features three state-of–the-art weight and fitness zones: The Bryan Green Matador Training Zone, the Total Training Zone and the Top Level Training Zone.
- The Rock Wall is 46 ft and 6 in high. Climbing equipment is provided with supervision with three difficulty levels to choose from.
- There are locker rooms located near gender inclusive restrooms and the recreational pool. Shower access and different sized lockers are available.
- The Red Ring Courts are a three-court gymnasium with wood floors that provides a great surface for several types of activities from basketball, to volleyball and badminton.
- Located at the end of the Red Ring Courts is a racquetball court available for reservations.
- The Matarena is a multi-activity court that can be used for multiple sports such as dodge ball, indoor soccer and badminton. The area also has bleachers for spectators and is a great place to watch games and tournaments.
- Within the facility are three different fitness and group exercise studios:
- Motivation Studio
- A multi-purpose studio used for a majority of the strength and dance group exercise classes such as Zumba, Barre, HIIT training, Bootcamp, and many more. When this is not being used for classes, the studio is available for individual and private training for SRC Personal Trainers.
- Inspiration Studio
- This studio has specific equipment that is utilized for classes such as; Spinning, yoga and Pilates. Group and private mat and reformer pilates training.
- Determination Studio
- A specialized studio equipped with boxing equipment is available for participants to engage in the Boxing Training Program, which is available during supervised hours and during scheduled Boxing group exercise classes.
- An indoor track oversees the Red Ring Courts and is located next to the Top Level Training Zone. This track is 1/8 mile long so members can enjoy their run in a climate-controlled environment, protected from the San Fernando Valley sun. The track’s superior biomechanical design allows for consistent traction with a cushioned surface providing greater safety and comfort.
- There is a recreational pool and lap swimming pool available for members to utilize. The Rec pool is available for recreational water activities and lap swimming with a large deck equipped with furniture for those that would like to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. The Plaza pool is programmed for lap swimming and special events, but also has deck chairs available for students, staff, faculty and community members.
- Located east of the Student Recreation Center is the 130,000-square-foot illuminated outdoor SRC Field. Four lights that stand 90 ft. high border the field and a small support building holds storage space, a drinking fountain and restrooms.
- LEED Gold Certified
- 75% of the building is day-lit by Solatubes and windows for less energy consumption.
- Energy saving Solar PV panels and ReRev Precor Ellipticals produce recycled clean electricity.
- Photovoltaic (solar) panels on the SRC roof are expected to generate 86.4 kilowatts per hour.
- Ventilation system that moves air through the building to reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Nine waterless urinals and 10 hand dryers save water consumption.
- Native drought plants save water consumption.
- Recycled products including seating, sport flooring and carpet.
- Three water refilling stations are located throughout the facility.
- 11,000 bookings in the facility per year (roughly 50,000 hours).
- An average of 51 group exercise classes a week with 36,075 total participants during 2016 – 2017 academic year.
- 13 intramural sport leagues each semester.
- 2,261 unique intramural sports participants during 2017 – 2017 academic year (1,657 Males and 604 Females).
- 40 outdoor adventure trips per semester with 4,700 participants for 2016-2017.
- In 2017, there were 1,899 personal training session completed, 32,336 participations in group exercise classes and 5,402 participations in the Boxing Training Program.
- 874 participations in Fitness and Wellness programs in 2016 – 2017 academic year.
- 34,153 non-student memberships sold since grand opening.
- Over 170 student assistant employees.
- 6 instructor certification courses hosted by outside organizations offered in 2016 – 2017 academic year. Over 10 American Red Cross CPR, AED and First Aid Training certification courses offered by staff in the facility each semester.
- 205 cardio equipment and 106 strength equipment inside the facility.
- Roughly 3,500 facility users each day (Monday through Thursday).
- Over 4 million visits since grand opening.
- Over 30K total members during Fall/Spring terms.