University of New Haven
West Haven, CT
The ChargerREC mission is to engage the University of New Haven community in lifelong wellness, development, physical activity, and learning opportunities by providing comprehensive recreational programs, services, and facilities. The ChargerREC Values include:
- Embrace the needs of a diverse university community.
- Offer quality programs and extensive services.
- Maintain a clean, safe recreation facility.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to our members and guests.
- Promote learning opportunities for our employees and members.
- Collaborate with students, organizations, faculty, staff and University departments.
The Beckerman Recreation Center at the University of New Haven is a comprehensive 56,500 square-foot student recreation center consisting of:
- Two Multi-Purpose Group Fitness Studios
- Weight Room and Fitness Center
- Two Racquetball Courts
- Two Hardwood Activity Courts (with capabilities for basketball, volleyball, & badminton)
- Multi-Activity Court (with capabilities for basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer, floor/roller hockey, and various other activities)
- Jogging Track
- NRgize Juice Bar
- Men’s, Women’s and 2-Individual Use Locker Rooms
- Lounge Area
- Lobby Area
ChargerREC values the concept that recreation is different to each and every one of their members. Embracing that idea, they strive to provide a diverse array of programs to meet those needs.
- RECSports (Intramural Sports) offers up to 50 programs per year, including a mix of season sports and one-day events. Activities include, conventional intramural sports to non-traditional sports such as cricket, box lacrosse, gym-class throwbacks, etc.
- The University of New Haven currently sponsors 12 Club Sports including Wrestling, Men’s Ice Hockey, Men’s Lacrosse, Men’s Volleyball, Field Hockey (CoREC), Men’s Rugby, Women’s Rugby, Frisbee (CoREC), Baseball, Men’s Soccer, and Tennis (CoREC).
- Approximately 30-35 GroupX Classes are offered each week during the academic year.
- Personal Trainers are available to all members at a relatively low cost.
- Premium Fitness Classes are progressive based fitness classes and currently include Fit for Duty, a program designed to train and prepare individuals for the physical fitness tests common in most Criminal Justice and Fire Science careers.
- Special and collaborative events including Zumbathons, 5k’s, bubble soccer, therapy dogs during final exams, just to name a few.
- OutdoorREC, their newest program which started this past fall, offers hiking trips throughout the state of Connecticut and surrounding area.
Outside of recreational programing ChargerREC also offers:
- TeamREC, an experiential based employment program, where student employees are challenged to manage the programs of ChargerREC and the operations of the Beckerman Recreation Center.
- Team Challenge, an immersive program where skilled facilitators lead student groups through a series of challenging activities designed to build and promote teamwork, cohesion, trust, problem solving, communication, and leadership.
- CPR/AED/First Aid Classes
- In January 2016 the 1,000,000th member visited the Beckerman Recreation Center.
- In FY16, 135,122 total facility visits.
- In FY16, 101,864 total facility visits by undergraduate students.
- In FY16, 3,708 unique undergraduate student visitors, 75% of the student population.
- The average GPA of an undergraduate student who utilized the Beckerman Recreation Center 15 or more times in Fall 2016 was 3.15.
- In FY16, RECSports totaled 1,311 unique undergraduate student participants, 26.5% of the student population.
- In FY16, Club Sports totaled 402 unique athletes, 8.1% of the student population.
- In FY16, GroupX totaled 1,128 unique participants.
- In FY16, the Beckerman Recreation Center hosted over 50 special events for campus departments.
- ChargerREC is the largest student employer on campus. In FY16, 146 students were employed by the department.
- In FY16, the average GPA of ChargerREC student employees was 3.16.
- Two $500 scholarships are provided to student employees each year. Scholarships are funded by proceeds from various events throughout the year.