Welcome to the Director Download, powered by Campus Rec Magazine.
It’s time to go behind the curtain of the director role and have honest discussions with leaders in the campus recreation industry.
Host Grady Sheffield, the director of campus recreation at Towson University and the senior advisor to the Campus Rec Mastermind Groups, gives you the listener real and authentic conversation between himself and special guest, Rachael Finley, the director of York College of Pennsylvania.
Finley gets honest about multiple things in her conversation with Sheffield. She shares on learning about Campus Rec Magazine and its Mastermind Groups’ mission, to her real feelings like nothing mattered in the pandemic. Finley also discusses that hard-to-manage work-life balance, something that most directors can relate to. Finally, the power of trusting your future self is key as she points out in the discussion that follows.
Show Notes from the Conversation with Rachael Finley
- Why Finley fell in love with campus recreation at Central Michigan University.
- The random magazine that Finley got and the mindset she initially had about Campus Rec Mastermind Groups.
- Why the mission of Peake Media — to change the world — sold Finley on the Mastermind Groups.
- The power of having a facilitate professional conversation.
- Where Finley was due to the pandemic and why she needed a lifeline.
- Coming back from COVID made Sheffield realize there’s things you don’t have to do.
- Why Finley felt like nothing she did mattered during the pandemic.
- Many leaders are, as Finley pointed out, pouring from an empty cup. Here’s how to change that.
- How her Mastermind Group prompted Finley to process work-life balance.
- The power of trusting your future self.
- Her last piece of advice deals with owning it.