Welcome to the Director Download, powered by Campus Rec Magazine.
It’s time to go behind the curtain of the director role and have honest discussions with leaders in the campus recreation industry.
In this episode, host Grady Sheffield, the director of campus recreation at Towson University and the senior advisor to the Campus Rec Mastermind Groups, gives you the listener real and authentic conversation between himself and special guest Jocelyn Hill, the associate athletic director of recreation and aquatics facilities at American University (AU).
With 23 years under her belt at AU, Hill has learned a lot about leadership, especially when it comes to adapting and pivoting. She shares with Sheffield how she’s had to pivot in her thinking as a leader and about the challenges of managing people.
Further on, Hill dives into managing up, her non-negotiables, a key issue campus rec is facing today and why your department should not be an amoeba.
Learn about all of this and more by listening to the below conversation.
Show Notes from the Conversation with Jocelyn Hill
- Why Hill was OK to move a little farther west at 3:03.
- Diving into her interesting role in athletics, recreation and aquatics at 4:55.
- Hills shares at 6:27 on the challenge of managing people.
- What does it mean to adapt to how people learn? Find out at 7:26.
- An example of pivoting in one’s thinking — especially as a leader — at 9:46.
- Tune in to 13:21 as Hill shares her non-negotiables as a director.
- Why Hill pushes for efficiencies in her department at 15:52.
- At 18:15 hear how she makes herself 1% better every day in terms of managing up.
- Why a campus rec department shouldn’t be an amoeba at 19:38.
- In Hill’s opinion, at 21:04 she shares the most important issue that’s facing the industry of campus rec today.
- When it comes to HBCU’s, Hill encourages them at 24:12.
- At 26:51, this is the biggest issue affecting the association today.
- What’s next for Hill? Listen at 29:10 to find out.
Never miss an episode of the Director Download by subscribing to our email list here.