Welcome to the Director Download, powered by Campus Rec Magazine.
It’s time to go behind the curtain of the director role and have honest discussions with leaders in the campus recreation industry.
In this episode, host Grady Sheffield, the director of campus recreation at Towson University and the senior advisor to the Campus Rec Mastermind Groups, gives you the listener real and authentic conversation between himself and special guest Kim Scott, the director of Campus Recreation at Baylor University.
Scott didn’t start off pursuing recreation — but she did start at Baylor. She shares how she found herself suddenly in the campus recreation industry, building a department from scratch. It has led her to where she is today: a changed leader who has learned that relationships and a business mindset are essential for the director role.
As you listen to the following conversation, reflect on how you have changed as a leader yourself. And, ask how recreation can give the next generation what it needs as Scott talks about. You might be surprised what you come up with.
Show Notes from the Conversation with Kim Scott
- The atypical way at 1:36 that Scott took to find herself in recreation.
- What creating an entirely new program looks like at 3:57.
- Scott describes at 7:09 what type of leader she is.
- One way she has changed as a leader is revealed at 9:23.
- This drives Scott each day to lead — hint: it aligns with Jim Collins’ book “Good to Great.” Listen at 12:06 to find out.
- The power of the conversations on the sideline at 16:53.
- Why Scott sees college as a do-over and how that applies to recreation. Listen at 19:42.
- At 21:47 listen to what Scott thinks this generation needs from campus rec.
- Her top secrets to success for aspiring directors involve people and business — hear the specifics at 24:31.
Do you love the Director Download? Subscribe to our email list to know when a new episode drops.
Leave a Reply