Welcome to the Director Download, powered by Campus Rec Magazine.
It’s time to go behind the curtain of the director role and have honest discussions with leaders in the campus recreation industry.
In this episode, host Grady Sheffield, the director of campus recreation at Towson University and the senior advisor to the Campus Rec Mastermind Groups, gives you the listener real and authentic conversation between himself and special guest David Davenport, the director at Austin Peay State University (APSU).
With almost 30 years in the field, Davenport has seen and experienced a lot. He shares about his journey into campus recreation and finding his place at APSU.
Plus, Davenport dives into his time as the NIRSA president. Leading through COVID-19, George Floyd and more was challenging. He gets real and shares how that time impacted his experience as a director.
Finally, Davenport shares about his experience at the Campus Rec Leadership Summit and advice to directors who are looking to continue to grow.
Enjoy the discussion that follows.
Show Notes from the Conversation with David Davenport
- How a bad call in flag football got Davenport into campus rec at 3:25.
- Why the feeling like running in mud led him to a change at 4:30.
- Having never heard of Austin Peay, Davenport still went there. Listen to why at 7:42.
- Experiences at a NIRSA Regional and the national conference were big positive impacts. Hear about it at 8:58.
- Davenport speaks on his 2020 NIRSA presidency at 11:43.
- Leading as the president during COVID-19, George Floyd and so much more was like going 100 mph. He shares about it at 14:19.
- Why Davenport picked up golf during the pandemic at 17:55.
- Listen at 19:48 to hear what he learned about himself during COVID-19.
- How the experience as the NIRSA president impacted Davenport as a director at 22:14.
- What he is still challenged to as a director at 26:13.
- How does it look to stay relevant in this field is a big question he’s asking.
- Davenport’s impressions of the Campus Rec Leadership Summit prior to attending for the first time in 2022 at 29:38.
- His advice to directors seeking continuing education at 32:41.
Do you love the Director Download? Subscribe to our email list to know when a new episode drops.