Did you celebrate National Recreation Day yesterday?
Here’s a look at what several rec departments did to celebrate around the nation this year:
California State University Monterey Bay (CSUMB)
This year, National Recreation Day at CSUMB is virtual. Events happened every day of the week on top of a seven-day Strava Challenge . Students were challenged to get at least of 80 minutes of walking, hiking, running, swimming or rolling. Once completed, they could enter into a drawing to win a pair of AirPod Pros.
- Yoga and CrossFit classes.
- A virtual hangout.
- Educational sessions on campfire cooking, bikes and diversifying the outdoors.
- Mario Kart tournament.
- Virtual escape room.
- A paracord craft workshop.
Princeton University’s National Recreation Day
Students were invited to a 36-hour Wellness Challenge. They were tasked to complete wellness missions that included text, picture and video sharing. The goal was to accomplish as many missions as one could — and students received bonuses for creativity.
Campus Recreation used the app GooseChase to host the “Hunt for Wellness” game. Winners received Apple AirPods.
On February 22, students were encouraged to send pictures and statements via the campus rec department’s Instagram or email. The pictures and statements received were posted on social media to celebrate National Recreation Day.
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
On top of the below list of activities, UAB also encouraged students to use #recday to share how they were celebrating activity, participation, fitness, sportsmanship and determination. Plus, if they came early they could receive a T-shirt for participating.
- Free cycling classes all day.
- 7 a.m. Fun Run — one mile, two miles and three miles.
- 10 a.m. body fat testing.
- 11 a.m. foam rolling showcase.
- Q&A via the Campus Rec Twitter by #AskPeerWELL on any fitness, wellness or rec questions.
- 12 p.m. Campus Rec program table.
- 2 p.m. Rec Day T-shirt giveaway.
- 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. decade-themed Zumba class.
University of Iowa’s National Recreation Day
The school called its students to come celebrate with a list of activities available. Group fitness classes were held throughout the day. Plus, several intramural sports were offered:
- Go the Distance Swimming challenge
- Mobile games
- Online games
- Snowman Building
- Sports Pick’em
Image couresty of Shutterstock