Mission and Vision
The mission of Texas Tech University (TTU) Recreation is to enrich the lives of Red Raiders by building community through dynamic leadership, leisure, recreation and wellness opportunities.
University Recreation is a comprehensive fitness, leisure and recreation department with world-class facilities and cutting-edge programs. TTU students are eligible to participate in a variety of recreational programs and services designed to help strengthen physical and mental fitness and build community.
University Recreation is more than just joining a gym. It’s a comprehensive recreation and wellness organization designed to enhance the collegiate experience and to create lifelong healthy behaviors.
Description of Facility(s)
Robert H. Ewalt Student Recreation Center
Est. 1980 with a renovation and expansion in 2000
With more than 240,000 square feet of recreational activity space, the Student Recreation Center has a variety of fitness, leisure and recreation opportunities for the Red Raider community.
- Seven gym courts ideal for badminton, basketball, pickleball and volleyball.
- Multi-activity court for indoor soccer or floor hockey.
- Free weight and machine weight rooms with over 200 weightlifting stations, dumbbells and barbells.
- Raider Power Zone, which is a combination of functional fitness training and power lifting racks.
- Over 90 cardiovascular fitness machines from leading commercial manufacturers including Concept 2, Life Fitness, Matrix, Precor and Woodway.
- A one-ninth-mile elevated track with stretching and core fitness spaces.
- A 53-foot-tall climbing and bouldering wall.
- Racquetball courts.
- Multiple fitness studios including global leaders F45 and CrossFit as well as the design-built Raider Ride Cycling Studio.
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms.
- Equipment Issue Sales and Rentals has a variety of equipment to support and complement activities.
Outdoor Pursuits Center
The Outdoor Pursuits Center (OPC) is a destination for students wishing to register for a weekend/extended outdoor adventure, rent gear or give their bike a little TLC in the bike maintenance repair center. The trips program provides a diverse lineup of outdoor excursions perfect for the newbie to expert. Examples of past trips include bike-packing, canoeing, hiking, ice climbing, kayaking and similar activities.
Perfect for the outdoor enthusiast, the OPC has all the rental equipment and regional park information for the weekend or weeklong adventure. From sleeping bags and tents to canoes, kayaks and just about anything a student may need for an outdoor trip, the OPC has it. Additionally, if your main mode of transportation is a bicycle, the OPC shop can perform several minor maintenance tasks to keep you safe and on the road to success.
Home to personal training, massage and expert information regarding fitness and wellness programs and services available through University Recreation, this space will help members meet and exceed fitness and wellness goals. Features include:
- Complimentary group fitness class program with more than 60 classes per week including Raider Ride.
- Purchase a CrossFit TTU or F45 membership package, a variety of personal training packages and a massage package to help smooth out the aches and pains from exercise.
- Learn about monthly wellness educational demonstrations and programs.
Indoor Aquatics Center
Ideal for fitness swimming, the indoor aquatics center can be set at 50 or 25-meter lengths. The facility is home to the Tech Swim Club and Tech Water Polo Club. Here, individuals can register for the regionally recognized American Red Cross Learn 2 Swim Program.
Outdoor Leisure Pool
Nationally recognized earning multiple design awards, the Outdoor Leisure Pool is the ideal location for fun in the sun. Picture-perfect for fitness swimming, family activities or healthy relaxation, this fitness and leisure activity area has something for everyone. Additionally, this space is great for group gatherings and rentals. Features include competition and activity pools for lap and fitness swimming, Double T splash pad and slide area, three-tier wet deck ideal for relaxing and soaking up Vitamin D, spa, a 645-foot-long lazy river and Sam’s Place poolside dining.
When the weather is too perfect to exercise indoors, take your fitness activities to Urbanovsky Park. This outdoor lighted greenspace is a great area to enjoy fresh air while exercising. Highlights of the park are a nine-hole disc golf course, six tennis courts, six pickleball courts, four basketball courts, three sand volleyball courts, one-mile running trail, soccer and rugby fields, functional fitness and chin-up bar exercise zone.
Intramural Sports strives to offer a program where everyone plays. Offering men’s, women’s and co-educational divisions in all team sports and leagues, the goal of intramural sports is to create an environment that encourages physical activity, social interaction and inclusion. Examples of past popular competitions include basketball, flag football, pickleball, soccer, softball, volleyball, and many other team and individual events.
Students with an interest in carrying their competitive juices beyond campus can find a home with one of 30-plus recognized sport clubs. The student athletes who become members of a sport club can continue to competitively participate in sports playing in state, regional and national competitions while gaining valuable leadership opportunities. Examples of current sport clubs include the Tech Ballroom Dance Team, Tech Esports, Tech Ice Hockey, Tech Polo, Special Olympics College, Swim, Tumbleweed Ultimate and Tech Water Polo.
West Rec Synthetic Turf Complex
This state-of-the-art three field, outdoor synthetic turf complex is home to intramural sports and sport club competitions and practices. When no competitions or practices are scheduled, TTU students can utilize this space for drop-in recreation activities.
This four-field softball complex — field names are Candlestick, Fenway, Shea and Wrigley — is home to kickball and softball intramural competitions and is a perfect location for a weekend tournament rental.
- University Recreation hosted the 2023 TEXFIT Conference with 280 attendees.
- Urbanovsky Park hosts the Homecoming bonfire and pep rally festivities.
- The Student Leisure Pool is still the largest outdoor water facility with a lazy river on a college campus in North America.
- In 2022, they hosted 842 swim lesson participants, which is equivalent to an entire elementary school.
- In 2022, they hosted 2,462 Intramural Sports games, which is more than nine complete seasons of the NFL.
- In 2022, the OPC hosted 7,936 climbing wall participants, 10 times the amount of people that climb Mount Everest each year.
- University Recreation proudly promotes a vast array of staff development to over 250 student employees each year.
Social Media Handles
Facebook: Texas Tech University Recreation
Want to keep track of Campus Rec Magazine’s Rec of the Month collection? Sign up for a digital subscription here.
Leave a Reply