New Orleans, LA
The department of campus recreation encourages personal growth by providing recreational and wellness opportunities to the Tulane community. We are committed to creating an environment that fosters the physical and social development of students, lifelong learning, respect and cultural diversity.
Tulane University (TU) Campus Recreation is housed within the 156,000-square-foot Reily Student Recreation Center. In addition to this facility, Campus Recreation also manages a synthetic turf field, two outdoor tennis courts, and two additional mind/body studios. Within the Reily Center, there are a variety of physical recreation components, including:
- Indoor olympic-size competition, lap swim and open rec pool
- Outdoor social leisure pool
- Five gymnasium courts (basketball, volleyball, badminton and open recreation)
- One functional fitness gym (open recreation, small group training)
- Four racquetball courts and one squash court
- Suspended jogging track
- Two multi-purpose studios (group exercise and open recreation)
- Outdoor Adventure Center (trips program and equipment rental program)
- Expanded weight room area (selectorized and plate/loaded equipment, and free weights)
- Four cardio fitness zone areas
- One multi-purpose meeting room and two classrooms
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms
- Three all-gender restrooms and showers
- Cycling studio
- Atrium/table tennis area
TU Campus Recreation is dedicated to offering some of the most popular programs and services on campus. With a total of 5,029 hours of operation and over 450,000 entries annually, the center is truly a campus destination.
- Built in 1989, the Reily Center was established as the first “for profit” (control access design), on-campus recreation facility in the U.S.
- In addition to campus recreation, the Reily Center is also the “home” of the Tulane Institute of Sport Medicine (TISM), and the anatomy lab for the Tulane Center for Anatomical Movement & Science (CAMS).
- Over 13,750 memberships are sold annually to include approximately 450 community and 500 alumni members.
- The Reily Center employs over 300 student employees.
- We average more than 11,000 unique participants within our programs.
- We record over 480,000 annual visits, averaging 13,000 weekly visitors.
- TU provides Unified Sports program opportunities for 150 Special Olympic athletes, 60 student participants and 75 Tulane student volunteers.
- 10 to 15 club sport teams qualify for postseason play annually, with women’s rugby winning the national championship in 2016.
- TU hosts over 25 special events, including two campus-wide fun runs, Zumbathon, Rock the Rec (Welcome Week Event), Twilight Yoga, Paddleboard Yoga, Dive-in Movies, S’MORES with Outdoors, RecsGiving, and Finals Week programs (Dec the Halls, Restorative Yoga, and Gotta Study S’MORE).
- We host a Medicare Silver Sneakers program for 170 participants.
- We have been recognized by the American Red Cross for our commitment to safety by certifying over 200 individuals with lifesaving skills.