Welcome to the Director Download, powered by Campus Rec Magazine.
It’s time to go behind the curtain of the director role and have honest discussions with leaders in the campus recreation industry.
In this episode, host Grady Sheffield, the director of campus recreation at Towson University and the senior advisor to the Campus Rec Mastermind Groups, gives you the listener real and authentic conversation between himself and special guest Teri Bladen, the director of Weber State University.
Putting herself through school, Bladen found soon that she loved working in campus recreation. Eventually, she would find herself at Weber State.
Since her time there, well-being has evolved. A big part of that evolution has happened when it comes to professional and hourly staff.
Whether it’s tapping into their passions or being more flexible with uniforms, Bladen shares that if her staff are taken care of, so is she.
As you listen, I challenge you to think through how you are serving your own staff’s well-being. What suggestions or trains of thought can you take from the following conversation to improve the well-being of your own professional and hourly staff?
Show Notes from the Conversation with Teri Bladen
- Where Bladen and Sheffield first met.
- Putting herself through school was no easy feat, but Bladen found her career path during it. Listen to that story at 2:50.
- What impact Bladen’s experience in corporate wellness has had on her role in campus recreation. Here this at minute 7:20.
- How well-being at Weber state has evolved, including leaving The Dungeon behind.
- Why a trip to Colorado was eye-opening to what Weber State could have at minute 11:51.
- The new focus of Weber’s well-being efforts at minute 13:06.
- How they are catering to hourly staff, from funding to Festive Sweater Week and hourly incentives.
- The heart-to-heart conversations the pandemic brought between Bladen and her team at 19:46.
- Creative ways professional staff at Weber State are diving into their passions and bringing them into work. Listen to it at 20:50.
- The question Sheffield asks that makes his staff look at him likes he’s crazy at 23:44.
Love the Director Download? Never miss an episode by subscribing to our email list here.