The University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) campus recreational services is a premier campus resource that promotes healthy lifestyles and student achievement through transformative and accessible programs, services and facilities.
Through recreation, we inspire and support our community in the pursuit of lifelong well-being in an inclusive and equitable environment.
CAMPUS LIFE COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND INCLUSION
As members of UNLV campus life, we courageously dedicate ourselves to inclusive and equitable practices in order to eradicate discrimination and create justice. We will:
- Actively seek our communities’ voices.
- Acknowledge and address barriers.
- Challenge ourselves and others.
- Celebrate and engage the power of our diverse talent.
- Fitness: dedicated programming to help the UNLV community get active, accomplish fitness goals, connect with new people and practice living a healthy lifestyle. Offerings include:
- Personal training
- Fitness testing
- Group fitness classes
- Fitness trainer course
- Intramural Sports: provide UNLV students, faculty, and staff the opportunity to participate in a variety of organized and competitive activities throughout each academic year. Offerings:
- Host individual and team sports leagues, tournaments and events.
- Sport Clubs: provide students, faculty, and staff the opportunity to participate, educate, and compete in sports as a means to enhance their collegiate experience and provide a vehicle for a well-rounded education through physical, social and leadership development. While not NCAA affiliated, many clubs travel and compete in regional and national competitions against other universities and colleges, as well as contend for their own respective national championships.
- We currently offer: bowling, boxing, Dancesport, ice hockey, men’s lacrosse, women’s lacrosse, men’s rugby, women’s rugby, Taekwondo, men’s volleyball, wrestling, Ultimate (new) and esports (new).
- Aquatics: offers a premier natatorium and programming through:
- Group and private swim lessons
- Certification classes (American Red Cross)
- Special events – water workshops, family swim, swim the distance challenge, pool parties, raves, water fitness classes, dive in movies, triathlons and more.
- Outdoor Adventures and Equipment Rentals: provides single and multi-day trips, featuring everything from camping to nature yoga, rock climbing to paddling. If UNLV students or the Las Vegas community members want to go on their own adventures, we can outfit them with our high-quality outdoor gear from our rental center.
- Open Recreation: our state-of-the-art facility offers students and members the opportunity to use activity space to exercise, dance or participate in recreational sports.
- Annual Events: our larger, one-time events held on and off campus that include both local and regional competition. They include:
- Oozeball – one of UNLV’s longest standing traditions since 1990.
- National Rec Sports and Fitness Day
- Turkey Trot 5K
- Rebel Resolutions
- Student Life Olympics
- Rebels Camp: youth programming that provides a variety of fun activities to allow children to explore new skills, foster new friendships, and promote health and wellness.
- Offers a diverse curriculum for children 6 to 12.
The UNLV Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC) features:
- 200 meter or 1/8 mile indoor jogging track
- 6-lane, 25-yard lap pool
- Spa, leisure and vortex pool
- Multi-purpose activity courts
- Cardio equipment, selectorized strength equipment, functional trainers and free weights
- Intramural sports: individual, team and special events
- Sport clubs
- Pro shop
- Locker rentals
- Open rec equipment rentals
- Outdoor adventures trips and equipment rentals
- Climbing elements
- Bike rental and repair shop
- Private swim lessons
- Learn to swim group lessons
- Personal training
- Fitness assessments including body composition analysis
- Group fitness (Rebel X) classes: 65-plus per week
- Massage chairs available at Rebel Wellness Zone
- Towel service
- Fitness trainer certification course
- American Red Cross certifications
- PEX activity classes for academic credit
- The SRWC was built in 2004 and is located within minutes of the Las Vegas Valley’s many world-class resorts, desert destinations and tourist attractions.
- UNLV’s 29,000-plus undergraduate population consistently ranks among the most ethnically diverse in America.
- The SRWC employs over 170 UNLV students and is one of the university’s largest employers of students.
- The SRWC features two dining options: Einstein Bros. Bagels and Greens To Go.
- Located within the SRWC are a few major university departments:
- The Student Wellness Center, which consists of student counseling and psychological services (CAPS), a team of clinicians fully accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services (IACS), who promote physical, emotional, spiritual, social, occupational, environmental and intellectual well-being.
- The UNLV Student Health Center (SHC) Laboratory, accredited since 1996 by the Commission Office Laboratory Accreditation (COLA), which provides treatment for injuries, illnesses and immunizations.
- The Pharmacy, which offers low, competitive cash prices on many prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, and accepts the Student Health Insurance Plan (CHP/Cigna), as well as UNLV employees’ HMO (Optum RX) and PPO/CDHP (express scripts) plans.
- The UNLV School of Dental Medicine operates one of its two facilities in the SRWC and provides services including: x-rays, cleanings, fillings, crowns, extractions, dentures and root canals. UNLV health insurance plans and many others are accepted.
- Campus Recreational Services is an active member of NIRSA Region VI.
- All UNLV students registered for at least four or more credit hours during the current semester maintain a membership to the SRWC. The SRWC does extend membership to Las Vegas community members and welcomes guests from all over the world.