UOFSC MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
The mission of UofSC campus recreation is to inspire and connect an active and strong UofSC community. The team works to positively impact the quality of life of those in the UofSC community and contribute wholeheartedly to student success.
We do this by way of three values:
- Continuous Improvement – We reject complacency. We innovate to be effective, efficient and comprehensive, managing our resources with prudence and pride while measuring all risks.
- Customer-Centric – We are attentive and empowered to meet the needs of UofSC. We balance the tension of service and safety, keeping customer-centered in all decisions.
- Unity – We build meaningful relationships with all stakeholders and believe Campus Recreation will accomplish infinitely more by embracing the power of diversity.
The STWFC is a comprehensive recreation facility featuring a wide array of indoor and outdoor activities for the UofSC. We offer aquatics facilities, athletic training services, as well as fitness, outdoor recreation and sport programs. Our facility is available for students, full-time university employees, their spouses and alumni members.
- Campus recreation provides indoor and outdoor pools for lap swimming and recreation. Patrons can just lounge by the outdoor pool or play beach volleyball on the sand. Next to the indoor pool, there is also a dry heat sauna and a wet jacuzzi spa.
Athletic Training Services
- UofSC campus recreation provides free athletic training services for our campus community. Our program employs a certified athletic trainer and graduate assistants to cover our clinic, as well as high-risk events hosted by campus recreation.
- We have a variety of offerings to help connect and inspire our UofSC community to remain active and strong:
- Weight room amenities. In addition to the 250-plus strength and cardio offerings, we recently created a space to house 21 squat racks and seven platforms to best serve our patrons’ needs.
- Group X. With over 65 live and virtual classes a week, our participants can choose from over 13 different formats and classes seven days a week.
- Personal training. Offering both in-person and online personal training, you can get fit wherever you are.
Outdoor Recreation (ORec)
- Adventure Trips. ORec offers a variety of opportunities for those experienced in the outdoors or those wanting to try it for the first time. From hiking and paddle sports to service and educational experiences, our team has something for everyone.
- Climbing. Standing 52 feet high, our Nicros A.R.T. wall features bouldering, top rope and lead climbing opportunities. We have one of the tallest walls in the Southeaster Conference.
- Gear Rental. The ORec Hub has various land and water gear for the UofSC community to rent.
- Intramural Sports. Whether you’re looking for a competitive outlet or learning to play a new sport, intramural sports has something to offer for you. UofSC students, faculty and staff are eligible to play in any of our offerings. From leagues to tournaments and special events, we offer as much competition and fun as you’re able to fit into your schedule. We also have an extensive history of student development from an officiating standpoint, having sent numerous officials to regional and national tournaments, and even having several students bring home NIRSA All-American awards.
- Sport Clubs. Sport clubs are student organizations that are created and led by students. Our 55-plus sport clubs serve roughly 2,500 members and offer a wide range of activities and experiences. Traditional sports like soccer and volleyball coexist with other activities like equestrian, martial arts and sailing. Commitment and intensity can also range from instructional and recreational like our numerous disciplines of dance clubs – from Bhangra and Moksha to contemporary and hip-hop dance – to competitive like the 2019 MCLA Champion men’s lacrosse club.
- Campus Recreation is the second largest employer of students on the UofSC campus.
- STWFC is one of the largest footprint facilities on campus with its 192,000-square-foot building and multiple outdoor fields.
- STWFC just celebrated its 18th birthday this year.
- The outdoor pool is shaped after UofSC’s iconic Horseshoe Gates with a Palmetto tree in the background.
- Campus Recreation has had 34 all-tournament officials since 2004.