The Department of Campus Recreation and the Plourde Recreation Center are committed to a student-centered approach for recreation programs and facilities. The recreation programs are designed to enrich the college experience for all participants, and through these programs we provide diverse opportunities that promote a sense of community, support student development through leadership and employment opportunities, and encourage the pursuit of a healthy and active lifestyle.
DESCRIPTION OF FACILITY
We aim to meet these goals through offering a variety of intramural sports, club sports, fitness classes and special programs. The Plourde Recreation Center is fully equipped with cardio equipment, free weights, selectorized machines, and stretching and meditation areas. The facility also includes a pool, racquetball courts, aerobics studio, saunas and multipurpose courts for a variety of open recreation opportunities. There are numerous opportunities for employment and leadership positions in recreation such as facility supervisor, building staff, intramural official, lifeguard, water safety instructor or fitness class instructor.
- 63,000 square feet
- Six-lane pool
- Cardio room with:
- Eight Precor treadmills
- 10 Precor ellipticals
- Two Lateral X machines
- Two Expresso spin bikes
- Two Stairmasters
- Weight-room with:
- 18 LifeFitness selectorized machines
- Two LifeFitness dual cable pulley systems
- Two squat racks
- Five weight benches
- Multi-purpose room
- Boxing/kickboxing bags
- Battle ropes
- TRX system
- Three basketball courts
- Elevated track
- Aerobics room
- Two racquetball courts
- Varsity weight room
- Two saunas
- Total unique number of participants in 2018-2019 was 846
- 52% of residential population
- 714 patrons per day
- 30 intramural programs each year.
- The intramural program consistently reaches 37% of the residential population each year.
- Athletics itself accounts for 33% of the school population, which is 680-plus.
- Offers 14 club sports.
- Offers fitness classes each semester.
- Six-week challenge to work out and maintain your goals. The challenge occurs between Christmas break and spring break each year. Participants earn points based on their type of workout and duration, and earn incentives just for participating.
- The second half of each semester features a unified sports intramural league. In the fall of 2018, Assumption University became the first higher education partner in the state of Massachusetts to offer a unified sports intramural league.
- This program was proposed by two student supervisors as a way to engage more students. The first Thursday of each month Campus Recreation lights the fire column on the piazza and welcome all students to come for games, music and s’mores. The students have a great time and it’s another way for staff to tell the campus rec story and promote events.
Learn to Swim Lessons
- For 25 years Campus Recreation has offered swim lessons to children in the local community. This spring the program experienced the highest enrollment of children at 191.
- Celebrated its 25th anniversary in April of 2018.
- First building on campus to receive a six-figure donation.
- Student’s affectionately call it “The Plourde.”
- Campus Recreation is the largest work-study employer on the Assumption campus.
Photos courtesy of Assumption University.