Core Values: Communication, integrity, teamwork, healthy lifestyles, fun, safety and inclusiveness.
The Brodie Recreation Center, more commonly known as “Brodie” on campus, is located on the east campus of Duke University. The facility opened in 1996 as an addition to Memorial Gym that opened in 1922-1923. The majority of the infrastructure is in the pre-existing structure. Brodie measures at 50,000 square feet and offers four basketball and volleyball wood floor courts, a classroom, weight room, two racquetball courts, cardio area, indoor pool, indoor track, and a multipurpose room with mirrors that is used for group fitness classes, physical education classes and dance groups. The recreation center also houses administrative offices for Aquatics, Facilities, Intramural Sports, Physical Education, and Sponsorships and Events.
- Cardio equipment
- Racquetball courts
- Four basketball/volleyball courts
- Four-lane, 24-yard indoor pool
- Weight room
- Multi-purpose room with mirrors
- Mind/Body studio
- Outdoor balcony
- Indoor track
- 10 tennis courts — four with lights
- Day lockers
Intramural Sports: Offers several leagues and a variety of tournaments during the fall, winter and summer tournaments. Brodie and our neighboring tennis courts host the wallyball leagues, volleyball leagues, pickleball tournaments and tennis tournaments.
Physical Education: Offers academic opportunities to over 2,400 students a year through a wide variety and diverse collection of course offerings in both activity and lecture-based theory classes. Martial arts, yoga, cardio kickboxing and tennis classes have been offered at Brodie and our neighboring tennis courts.
Fitness and Wellness: Offers a variety of group fitness classes, small group training programs and personal training sessions in Brodie. The facility is also the home to the Mind/Body studio where private Pilates sessions are held.
Aquatics: Offers swim lessons year-round for swimmers of all levels and ages in the Brodie Aquatics Center. There are several health and safety courses, such as lifeguarding and first aid and CPR/AED classes held within the facility as well.
- The Brodie Recreation Center is a 31,000-square-foot addition to the original East Campus Gymnasium, formerly known as the Alumni Memorial Gymnasium.
- The original building, Alumni Memorial Gymnasium, was erected in 1922-1923 with funds from alumni and friends of the college as a memorial to the Trinity men killed in World War I.
- The original building featured a gymnasium and swimming pool, and was also used for dances and other social functions.
- The Alumni Memorial Gymnasium was home to the Duke Blue Devils men’s basketball team from 1924 to 1930. There was room for 1,400 fans downstairs and 600 spectators on the upstairs balcony for basketball games.
- The Brodie Recreation Center is one of two recreation centers under Duke Recreation and Physical Education. Both facilities offer memberships to all Duke community members including students, faculty, staff and alumni, visiting scholars, retirees, and student spouses.