The Final Exam is your chance to get to know leaders in the industry. For the May/June 2023 issue, Campus Rec Magazine spoke with Tricia Losavio, the director of University Recreation at the University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas).
1. How did you get started in the industry?
I began as an intramural official.
2. How would you go about describing campus recreation at UT Dallas?
Unique. The students are very selective with their time, and we do our best to have programs and services to help with their physical and mental well-being .
3. What has been one of the biggest challenges you have faced throughout your career?
One of my biggest challenges would be having to choose what new programs can be offered. Space is very limited as our facility is shared with Athletics. It’s a delicate balance between keeping open rec space available while trying to offer organized activities.
4. What has been one of the biggest accomplishments of your career?
My first year at UT Dallas we were asked to host the first NIRSA National Flag Football championships. Having the support of the NIRSA staff as well as my peers allowed us this opportunity, and I will always be grateful.
5. What is one lesson you have learned that other recreation professionals might benefit from?
It’s very important to surround yourself with people who share your vision for recreational sports. This will foster growth for programs and services as well as professionals.
6. What is your favorite hobby?
Reading and walking my dog, Moxen.
Leave a Reply