The Saint Leo University (SLU) Wellness Center is a facility that focuses on mind-body-spirit connections and serves as a place of support, engagement, personal development and celebration for the Saint Leo University community and its neighbors.
Indoor and Outdoor Features
The SLU Wellness Center is a 59,500-square-foot, first-class facility on the shore of Lake Jovita at University Campus in St. Leo, Florida. The facility serves the university as a focal point for the development of the mind, body and spirit in the Benedictine Catholic tradition.
Located on the first floor in the Paul and Sara Lehner Suite, the Health Services Center serves SLU and the surrounding community as a general health clinic with six exam rooms, separate waiting rooms and more.
On the second floor, the Counseling Center serves university students through individual and group therapy, as well as psycho-educational programming. University Ministry provides spiritual support, events, Bible study and a full range of services to not only Catholics but also to all students, faculty and staff.
The Wellness Center includes an expansive infinity-edge recreational pool featuring two lap lanes, therapy jets, an area to play volleyball and basketball, and a shallow area for lounging.
The patio and pool deck offer a 180-degree view of Lake Jovita with a variety of seating areas. Students enjoy the outdoor features such as a grill, fire pit and Café 36 to-go window. Café 36 provides healthy food options, including smoothies, salads, wraps and snacks.
The fitness area has a wide range of cardio equipment, free weights and machines. There are also unique challenges such as a tire flip and Echelon mirror. Classes and practices are held in the group exercise studio; Mind, Body and Spirit Studio; and cycling studio. The 11,800-square-foot multi-purpose gymnasium boasts an indoor walking track and two courts for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and floor hockey.
The room has technology to transform this space into a large meeting or banquet venue with a spectacular view of the pool deck and Lake Jovita for special events.
SLU’s Wellness Center team offers a variety of classes including cycling, high intensity interval training, yoga, belly dance, Zumba, Pilates, swim lessons and fitness classes targeting specific areas.
Classes and personal training are free to all students. Faculty and staff classes are free with membership. For those who are just starting their wellness journey, SLU offers an Introduction to Gym class.
Intramural sports are a staple of the Saint Leo Recreation program with a wide variety of offerings such as softball, volleyball, flag football, basketball and soccer. For those who don’t have time to participate in a league, the Recreation program also offers tournaments in dodgeball, pickleball, three-on-three basketball and kickball.
For those who prefer a less competitive form of recreation, Lake Jovita provides a natural opportunity for students to de-stress with canoes, kayaks and paddleboards available to take out on the water. Lawn games and fishing at the lakefront also are available.
The Wellness Center pool is becoming a hub for students to gather and relax, play water basketball or volleyball, or swim laps. Student groups can reserve the adjacent outdoor grills and fire pit for events.
- Café 36 — which offers healthy food options including smoothies, paninis, wraps and salads — is named in honor of the 36 acres originally owned by the Benedictine Sisters of Florida on which the Wellness Center stands.
- A handcrafted bench made from one of the original camphor trees from the grounds is on the second floor of the Wellness Center.
- A three-story water wall brings the sounds of nature inside the Wellness Center to offer an element of relaxation to the Café 36 indoor seating area.
- The pool deck is a great place to catch a glimpse of Florida’s resident wildlife, including sandhill cranes and an occasional sighting of a juvenile alligator in the retention pond.
- Over the course of 2021, items were gathered from departments across campus to provide a snapshot of life at SLU during construction of the Wellness Center. These items are included in a time capsule that was installed at the grand opening of the facility in April 2022.
Want to stay up-to-date on SLU Campus Recreation?
- Facebook: @SaintLeoWellnessCenter
- Instagram: @SaintLeoWellness
Leave a Reply