The University of Florida reopened its Southwest Recreation Center on Monday, June 8, 2020.
Hours last week were Monday through Friday from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m.; this week they added a 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. weekday slot, as well as 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Student employees started working shortly after reopening.
“Based on university policy, we are requiring each person to wear a mask at all times in the building, including on cardio equipment,” said David Bowles, the senior director for Recreation and Health Promotion Service. “Students have been good about complying, but some have chosen to go elsewhere.”
He shared their reopening plan, some of which is detailed below:
- The Southwest Recreation Center is the only facility currently open. The UVS Sand Volleyball courts, the softball complex, the Student Recreation and Fitness Center, and the Broward Outdoor Recreation Complex will remain closed until further notice.
- Southwest Recreation Center will reopen in phases. The following areas will be limited or not available in Phase One:
- Locker rooms
- Equipment check-out
- Activity rooms
- The only approved court activities that will be permitted are the following:
- Singles badminton
- Singles pickleball
- All services at the Training Center
- Membership office
- No guest passes or memberships will be sold.
- Social lounge: chairs and tables will be removed as necessary to enforce distancing regulations.
- Lockers: a limited number of day-use lockers will be available to enforce distancing regulations.
- Water fountains: water bottle fillers will remain available. Members are encouraged to bring their own water.
- Phase One operates at 25% of the building occupancy load for the cardio rooms. Cardio will be available every other piece of equipment.
- At entry, card numbers are self-scanned or verbally presented.
- Participants will be required to wear cloth face coverings. Social distancing of 10 feet is required while exercising, six feet while not.
- One designated equipment zone, in both the weight room and cardio areas, will be cleaned each hour.
- Employees need to answer questions prior to their shift, will take and log their temperature, and must wear face coverings.
- Sneeze guards will be placed at fixed points.
- RecSports will provide training on personal protective equipment based on CDC guidelines:
- Remove gloves using the glove-in-glove method.
- Place used gloves directly into the trash.
- Do not re-use gloves.
- Wash hands after removing gloves and before putting on new gloves.
- Ensure the facemask is properly fitted.
- Wash reusable facemask after each shift.
- Do not share facemasks.
- If student staff are unable to be brought back/numbers are insufficient, the professional staff will step in to fill basic staff responsibilities.