The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Edinburg and Brownsville, TX
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) was created by the Texas Legislature in 2013 as the first major public university of the 21st century in Texas. UTRGV is a new institution with a long history serving the Rio Grande Valley. To date, UTRGV (fall 2017) serves a student population of 27,809 students.
UTRGV University Recreation (UREC) will meet the needs of a diverse university community by providing quality programs, services and facilities which encourage the lifelong pursuit of active healthy lifestyles. Since September 2015, UREC has provided programs and services to two main campuses, 65 miles apart.
Facilities include two campus locations, Edinburg and Brownsville.
The Edinburg facility includes the 144,000-square-foot University Recreation Building (EUREC). The indoor space includes a 35-foot climbing wall, two indoor basketball courts, Multipurpose Activity Court (MAC), three racquetball courts, two studios, indoor track (1/10 mile), with two fitness floors. Outdoor locations include a leisure pool, patio, two beach volleyball courts, two basketball courts, two tennis courts, softball field and two recreation fields.
The Brownsville Recreation, Education and Kinesiology center (BREKC) includes over 100,000 square foot of activity space. This includes a 3,741-square-foot cardio area, with a 3,689-square-foot weight room. Also included are a multipurpose room, three basketball courts, indoor track (1/9 mile), four racquetball courts, outdoor pool and recreation field.
Programming to a multi-campus culture has been a unique experience since 2015. With two campus cultures, UREC continues to offer comprehensive programming for each including intramural sports, sport clubs, aquatics, outdoor adventures, group exercise classes and summer youth programs.
- Gets approximately 1,800 visits/participations per day.
- Hosts some of the biggest events on campus such as Late Nite at UREC and REC FEST at both locations.
- One of the largest student employers on campus.
- Outdoor Adventure program includes:
- A 35-foot Climbing Wall for open rec along with belay certification opportunities.
- 3+ climbing challenges throughout the semester.
- Day, weekend and extended trips to explore the great outdoors.
- Fitness & Wellness program offers:
- Fitness floors with machine and free-weight equipment.
- Group exercise classes (34 classes per week).
- Weight lifting competitions.
- Monthly challenges.
- Fitness/wellness related presentations.
- Intramural Sports includes:
- 11-15 sports per semester.
- Participation in sport leagues, tournaments, and special events.
- Themed out sessions every semester!
- Sport Clubs programs invite students to create or join a club.
- 15 – 20 active sport clubs at both locations.
- Aquatics program offers:
- Leisure pool (lazy river, jacuzzi, 3 – 20 yard lanes, open rec).
- Indoor pool (8 – 25 yard lanes, 3-12ft deep, diving boards, handicap access, locker room with showers and restrooms).
- Learn to Swim Program.
- Water Baby Program.
- Special Events (Spring & Summer).