West Virginia University
Provide exceptional recreation, wellness, and education opportunities that meet the needs of West Virginia University (WVU) and the surrounding community.
The WVU Student Recreation Center serves the entire WVU community. All students have access to the facility and faculty/staff – and their immediate families – can register to become members. Our facility boasts 17,000 square feet of weight and fitness equipment, a 50-foot climbing wall, two swimming pools, and outdoor fields. Members can also enjoy free group exercise classes, wellness programs and fitness testing. Personal training packages are also available.
- Four-Court and Three-Court Gyms: The gyms are marked for basketball, volleyball and badminton.
- Aquatics: There are two pools: a six-lane, 25-yard lap/fitness pool and a leisure pool with a beach-style entry. There is also a whirlpool, bubble jet couch and a vortex area of moving water.
- Climbing Wall: The center’s focal point is the incredible 50-foot climbing wall. Climbers of all skill levels are welcome.
- Elevated Running/Walking Track: Nine laps equal a mile on this three-lane cushioned track above the basketball courts.
- Equipment Checkout: Balls, racquets and other equipment are available for use inside the rec center. Equipment may be checked out with a mountaineer or student recreation center card.
- Outdoor Recreation Center: You can rent a variety of outdoor equipment (camping supplies, skis, canoes, bicycles, etc.) and participate in outdoor adventure trips.
- Squash/Racquetball Courts: An international squash court and three racquetball courts have glass walls for playing and observation. Courts can be reserved by calling one day in advance.
- Weight/Fitness Equipment: 17,000 square feet of equipment in three locations. Treadmills, elliptical trainers, stair-steppers, bikes, selectorized weight equipment, free weights and more.
From Aqua HIIT to Zumba, beginner’s yoga to sculpt and spin, campus recreation provides plenty of group fitness opportunities for its members. Classes range from 6:15 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. in order to cater to members’ busy schedules.
NEW F45 Studio
The F45 program provides an intense, dynamic workout for all of 45 minutes. F45’s classes are just as intensely varied as they are physically challenging; with each session consisting of a new, custom developed workout, none of our participants experience redundancy.
Campus recreation offers individual personal training in addition to a partner-personal training package. The trained professionals at the rec provide their trainees with a fitness assessment, help them set goals, and develop an exercise program to take them to new heights in their fitness journey.
WVUGo App/Reservation Portal
The WVUGo app provides a convenient connection between campus recreation and its community members. Users can register for trips and classes, reserve rec rooms or field facilities, and view both the master programming calendar and the club/intramural sports schedules.
The student recreation center provides access to an astounding aquatics area, complete with a hot tub, leisure pool and a six-lane fitness pool. The recreation center’s aquatics team offers a multitude of swimming programs, like their fitness swim, Aqua HIIT and water aerobics classes.
Intramural and Club Sports
The club sports community at WVU is extensive; from Quidditch and grotto caving, to more traditional club sports like soccer and ultimate frisbee, campus recreation has a place for everyone. Combined with WVU’s intramural sports program, any mountaineer’s more competitive cravings can be satisfied.
Outdoor Recreation Center
The outdoor recreation center (ORC) has its home in the main lobby of WVU’s student recreation center. It houses Adventure WV, a nationally recognized leader in the field of experiential education. Additionally, the ORC rents out adventure gear for those lone wolves that opt to abstain from one of WVU’s many guided adventures.
KidZone and Groups/Birthdays
Campus recreation believes in engaging with its community. One of these engagements is the KidZone, a flex-care facility for children. Another engagement opportunity offered by campus recreation is their extensive birthday/group programming. Kids can make their time at the rec just as special as the students who walk in. Corporate retreats and team-building experiences are also available through our group programming.
The Silver Sneakers program is a free fitness program that is designed to provide senior citizens with access to gyms and fitness centers. Campus recreation is proud to offer our outstanding facilities to not only our students, but our community members as well.