The November 2020 Rec of the Month is the Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) Student Recreation Center.
SFA MISSION STATEMENT
Stephen F. Austin State University is a comprehensive institution dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative work and service. Through the personal attention of our faculty and staff, we engage our students in a learner-centered environment and offer opportunities to prepare for the challenges of living in the global community.
SFA Campus Recreation is committed to developing a culture of lumberjack wellness through excellent facilities and inclusive experiences in adventure, fitness, sport and play. Our core values include community, respect, impact, service, innovation and integrity.
Commitment to Diversity
The Campus Recreation department is committed to creating an environment that celebrates the differences of lumberjacks across the SFA campus. Diversity is a key component of holistic wellness for the individual and vital to the development of an inclusive community atmosphere. We are dedicated to advancing SFA’s commitment to diversity through hiring and developing culturally competent employees and providing facilities, equipment, and programming that supports and welcomes all members of the Lumberjack community.
SFA STUDENT RECREATION CENTER DESCRIPTION
The Student Recreation Center opened in 2007 and offers the following:
80,910-square-foot Indoor Recreation Space
- Main gym with two basketball courts
- Weight room and cardio floor
- Two multipurpose rooms
- Indoor track
- 39-foot climbing wall and 13-foot bouldering cave
- Two racquetball courts
100,000-square-foot Second Indoor Recreation Space in the Lucille Norton HPE Complex
- Indoor pool
- Weight room
- Rock climbing room
- Racquetball courts
- Five indoor basketball courts
72,430-square-foot Outdoor Recreation Space
- Four intramural fields
- 300-square-foot padded artificial turf outdoor workout area
- Military spec obstacle course with 10 elements
- Schlief tennis complex with 16 courts
- Outdoor courtyard
- Two basketball courts
- Two sand volleyball courts
- Five miles of multi-use trails
- Low and high element challenge course
6,958-square-foot Outdoor Pool
- 15,738-square-foot outdoor pool deck
- Lazy river
- Three lap lanes
- Diving well
- Hot tub spa with seating for 43
- Multi-use area with basketball hoop and volleyball net
SFA RECREATION CENTER PROGRAMMING HIGHLIGHTS
The Outdoor Center offers students the chance to experience the outdoors through day and overnight trips, and learn skills that enable them to enjoy being outside. Along with various clinics, patrons have access to rent outdoor equipment like kayaks, tents, paddle boards and bikes. The Outdoor Pursuits team also oversees the rock wall, an indoor/outdoor challenge course, and local walking and biking trails.
SFA’s intramural basketball team, “The Takeover,” won the Men’s Intramural Division 2019 NIRSA National Championship. During the fall 2020 semester, two major sports, softball and kickball, have been offered along with six one-day tournaments that allow for physical distancing.
SFA is home to over 20 sport clubs including rock climbing, rodeo, wake boarding and bass fishing. The bass fishing club won the Abu Garcia College Fishing National Championship. An esports club was formed during the spring 2020 semester along with the development of a new esports lab that houses 12 computers.
Aquatics and Safety
The aquatics and safety staff offer learn-to-swim lessons to the community throughout the year. A variety of America Red Cross certification courses are also offered, including CPR/AED and First Aid for professional rescuer, CPR instructor, lifeguard and lifeguard instructor.
SFA employee wellness offers free wellness solutions to SFA faculty, staff and retirees, including designated weight room times, access to an indoor pool and group fitness classes. Each year, employee wellness offers programs like the Kick Axe Wellness Challenge and Lumberjack Fitness Academy, both designed to introduce and orient users to wellness resources.
Beginning in the spring of 2021, we will host group fitness instructor and certified personal trainer certification preparation courses. In partnership with NASM/AFAA, these hybrid courses will provide students with the tools and skills needed to successfully obtain their certification. Upon completion, newly certified fitness professionals will have the ability to interview for employment with the Student Recreation Center and will be further equipped with a nationally accredited certification that can be used outside of the university setting after graduation.
- Campus Rec is home to our very own registered dietitian and massage therapist.
- As part of our outdoor facility, we house a military spec obstacle course with 10 different elements.
- SFA Campus Rec holds weekly “Group AXE” classes that are free group exercise classes for all members. Classes include yoga, cycling, Zumba and more.
- SFA Campus Rec is committed to bring fitness and wellness to every student, even online. We hold online options of our some of our Group AXE classes and special events to keep students moving at home.
- After the initial closure due to COVID-19, SFA Campus Rec reopened on May 18 and has been serving students and members since then to help meet their physical, mental and social health needs.