The Office of Campus Recreation promotes health, fitness and wellness for the students, faculty and staff of Springfield College.
The Wellness & Recreation Complex oversees group exercise classes, fitness and wellness, the natatorium, intramural and club sports, health promotion and alcohol and other drugs programming.
- Average of 100,000 users in 2016/2017.
- Over 250,000 square feet of indoor shared space and over seven acres of outdoor turf fields.
- Approximately 8,700 formally requested spaces in 2016/2017. Campus Recreation schedules all events and programs within the facility.
- Climbing Wall 26 feet high, 22 feet wide. Can accommodate up to 10 climbers at a time.
- Fitness Assessment Room.
- Massage Therapy Room.
- Fitness area: 15,300 square foot; mondo synthetic floor; 5,297 pound free weights; 43 cardio machines; 67 selectorized and functional training pieces.
- Four group exercise rooms that total 9,300 square feet.
- Average of 30 classes per week (average of 2,700 group exercise participants in 2016/2017).
- 60,000-square-foot field house that has four basketball, volleyball and tennis courts and a 200-meter indoor track with the same surface used at Arizona State University and in Beijing Olympics.
- Six-lane, 50-meter pool with two 3-meter boards and two 1-meter boards.
- 7,824 square foot Strength and Conditioning room for athletes.
- 7,800 square feet of Athletic Training space.
- 7,800 square feet of new classroom, lab and testing space and equipment for exercise science majors and faculty.
The Springfield College Campus Recreation and Physical Education Complex offer intramural sports, club sports, late night programs, group exercise classes, workshops, employee wellness, student employee incentive programs, healthy cooking classes, and a large health fair: Fit Fest.
Fitness & Wellness:
- Hosted 38 wellness programs with an average of 2,155 participants in 2016/2017.
- Offered an average of 30 group exercise classes per week with an average of 9,000 participants in 2016/2017.
Intramurals & Club Sports
- 5,269 intramural participants in 2016/2017.
- 12 active club sport teams with 224 participants in 2016/2017.
- 2017 NECHA Colonial Conference Club Hockey Champions.
- 2017 Gymnastics NAIGC Level 6 Nationals 2nd place.
Alcohol & Other Drug Education
- The student-staff are certified peer educators through BACCHUS Initiatives of NASPA.
- Provided 45 educational programs through residence life workshops, tabling events, academic classroom presentations.
- Hosted the Not Ready for Bedtime Players from the University of Massachusetts Amherst that is a peer sexuality education performance.
- Offers youth swim lessons to children and grandchildren of faculty and staff.
- Provides American Red Cross CPR, First Aid, and AED Courses.
- Provides American Red Cross Lifeguard Courses.
- Hosts late night programs and special events.
- Recreational lap swim and diving is available 65 hours per week.
- 2009 Outstanding Sports Facilities Award.
- 2009 Architect Digest Design and Facility Award.
- Springfield College is the birthplace of basketball.
- Recently named an Exercise is Medicine campus.
- Host to the NIRSA Regional Flag Football Tournament for the past 10 years. In October, the tournament partnered with the Special Olympics Massachusetts.
- Largest student-employer on campus with at times over 150 student staff, 23 student staff supervisors and eight professional staff.
- The Campus Recreation Department houses Alcohol and Other Drug Education that works closely with the campus recreation staff.
- 39% of students are involved in athletics and or club sports.