The Athletic Department of Stonehill College endeavors to provide the students, staff, faculty, alumni and community constituencies a bedrock commitment to the pursuit of excellence. Guided by the values of the Congregation of Holy Cross, Stonehill College Athletics seeks to pursue excellence in the form of academic and competitive success, community engagement and whole person development.
Originally built in 1988 and renovated in 2015, the Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex (SBA) is home to the majority of Stonehill’s athletics and recreation from the 21 Division II NCAA, to the 14 club sports and 20-plus intramural sports. Now spanning more than 100,000 square feet, SBA’s newest addition is the 55,024-square-foot Rev. Mark T. Cregan, C.S.C., Athletic and Fitness Center, named for Stonehill’s ninth president.
The facility includes:
- 19,556-square-foot, two-floor fitness center serving the entire campus community.
- Five-court multipurpose field house.
- Host for Mr. Stonehill variety show, Diversity Multicultural Event, Skyhawk Welcome Events and Special Olympics basketball.
- Fitness area for varsity strength and conditioning.
- Student lounge with video games and ping pong table.
- Two classrooms for team film or meetings.
- Large multipurpose space for events.
- A dedicated cycle room.
- Multipurpose group exercise room.
- Large equipment room for recreational and varsity storage and laundry.
- Four large suites for administrative staff.
- Student-athlete study lounge with computers and printers.
- 14 club sports
- 20-plus intramural and special events
- 21 NCAA D2 teams
- 20-plus weekly group exercise classes
- Dedicated dance studio
- 75 student employees
- The Sports Complex is the largest building on campus at 119,124 square feet.
- The James “Lou” Gorman, 1953 Pavilion, displays and honors Gorman’s commitment to the Boston Red Sox and Stonehill College. His sports memorabilia, including two World Series rings, and his long-lasting relationship to the college are featured.
- SBA houses new archival display cases telling the story of the history of Stonehill athletics and recreation and office suites for the Athletic & Recreation Department, coaches, and administrative staff.
- Awarded the Athletic Business Facility of Merit in 2018.
- Fieldhouse solar
- System size: 225 kW AC
- Annual production: 350,000 kWh
- Panels: 1,045
- Three electric car charging stations, the most heavily used stations on campus.
- Carbon dioxide sensors are used to calculate the amount of outside air the building requires based on its actual occupancy, which reduces electric and natural gas usage.
- There are daylight sensors in the lobby and workout areas with large windows that are used to dim the lights when daylight is present.
- The building has high efficiency condensing boilers for both the heating and domestic hot water systems.
- The high efficiency laundry equipment includes high G-force extraction washing machines, ozone treatment systems and smart dryer controls. The extraction washers save dryer energy by removing a greater volume of water. The ozone treatment system permits laundry to be cleaned with chemicals that do not require hot water for activation. The smart dryer cycle controls reduce over-drying of materials.
Photos by ©Anton Grassl/Esto
Leave a Reply