University of Pennsylvania
The department is committed to embracing and supporting all of the Penn Community in pursuing a healthy lifestyle through fitness, wellness and sport activities by offering exceptional recreational programs, services and facilities.
David Pottruck Health & Fitness Center with Gimbel Gymnasium:
- 160,0000-square-foot recreation facility.
- 8,000-square-foot weight room equipped with Olympic lifting platforms.
- Multi-purpose room that features a turf area for functional training.
- 3 basketball courts.
- Pilates studio, Spin studio, and 3 group exercise classrooms.
- 50m swimming pool used for rec swim, swim lessons, aquatic programs, club sports, and the intercollegiate swimming and diving team.
- 40-foot indoor climbing wall.
- Golf Simulator.
- Wellness Suite used for fitness assessments and massage therapy.
- Energy Zone (juice bar).
Fox Fitness inside the concourse of historic Franklin Field:
- Additional 8,000 square feet of workout space.
- Outdoor track at Franklin Field.
- 2 multi-use turf fields.
Ringe Squash Courts:
- 10 squash courts.
- 2 table tennis tables.
Hecht and Hamlin Tennis Centers:
- 8 indoor tennis courts.
- 12 outdoor tennis courts.
- Variety of programs, including: flag football, basketball, 4×4 volleyball, dodgeball, kickball, 8v8 soccer, softball, ultimate frisbee and more.
- Approximately 3,500 unique participants per year.
- 36 student run sport clubs that serve nearly 1,500 participants. Most clubs participate at local, regional and national levels.
- Adaptive Recreation Day, Golf Simulator Skill Challenges, Annual Penn Park 5K, Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga, Wellness week.
- 23 different types of classes offered.
- Over 72 classes per week.
- 12,800 group class participations (fall 2017).
- Swim lessons for children and adults.
- Scuba certifications.
- Aqua fitness.
- Lifeguard certifications.
- Outdoor Climbing (rock climbing, ice climbing).
- Hiking & Backpacking (day hikes, full moon night hikes, snowshoeing).
- Paddle Sports (canoeing, kayaking, white water rafting).
- Snow Sports (downhill skiing & snowboarding, cross country skiing).
- Extended Trips.
- Wilderness First Aid Courses.
- Open climbing (bouldering, top rope climbing, lead climbing).
- Climbing 101 courses.
- Bouldering basics.
- Belay lessons.
- Private instruction.
- Gimbel Gymnasium was built in 1967. It is 95,000 square feet and includes the swimming pool, basketball courts, and current Multi-Purpose Room. The David Pottruck Health & Fitness Center was added next to the Gimbel Gymnasium in 2002. The two buildings share a curved glass ceiling and a spacious atrium that connects the facilities. This atrium houses the 40-foot climbing wall.
- Over 400 pieces of cardio and strength equipment.
- Over 285,000 total miles logged on equipment at Pottruck (Fall 2017).
- Rec facilities see an average of 2,500 unique users per day.