University of Wyoming
At the University of Wyoming, our mission is to provide recreation and wellness opportunities to a diverse campus community that enhance the learning and workplace environment and promote mental and physical health via quality facilities, equipment, and programs. Our programs, which include the Wellness Center, Open Recreation, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, and the Outdoor Program, offer a broad range of coordinated activities for individuals and groups that promote health awareness, a sense of community, and a lifelong appreciation for wellness and recreational activities. Supporting the value of student development, our programs strive to offer opportunities to students that develop leadership skills and promote responsibility while maintaining a balance between personal, professional, and academic pursuits.
Originally dedicated in 1925, the Half Acre Gymnasium has served the University of Wyoming campus for over ninety years; most recently as the main facility and home of the Campus Recreation Department. The building has experienced numerous updates and renovations, the most significant a $31.4 million expansion and renovation completed in 2015. The newly renovated Half Acre Recreation and Wellness Center includes:
- 17,625 total square feet of cardio/weight equipment
- 3 large multi-purpose fitness rooms
- Dedicated spin room and dance studio
- MAC gym (2 basketball/volleyball courts)
- Historic gym (3 basketball/volleyball courts)
- 38’ climbing wall pinnacle and extensive bouldering area
- 1/8 mile indoor track
- State-of-the-art classroom
- Bike/ski maintenance area
- Large heated spa
- Wellness Center
- Four racquetball courts with one convertible squash court
Campus Recreation also offers recreational opportunities at the Corbett Building Pool and Gym as well as seven acres of outdoor recreational field space. We also collaborate with the University of Wyoming Athletics Department and the City of Laramie to utilize several of their facilities for our programs.
- The UW Club Nordic Ski Team has won seven USCSA National women’s overall team titles and five overall men’s team titles since 2003. The team also represented the United States in the past three World University Games.
- The Historic Gym located within Half Acre was the home court of the 1943 National Championship basketball team.
- The recreation and wellness center was partially funded through a $15 million appropriation from the State of Wyoming. As a tribute to the state, scenic photographs from each of Wyoming’s 23 counties are showcased throughout Half Acre.
- Over 60 free group fitness classes are offered each week during the academic year to our patrons.
- UW offers an academic minor in Outdoor Leadership in partnership with our Outdoor Program.
- The Intramural Sports program offers over 50 different activities throughout the year—most of them free to UW students.
- The Half Acre Pool is the original swimming pool built in 1925. The pool was originally 100 feet in length. A bulkhead was placed in the pool which created a 25 yard pool and a smaller pool which is used for activities such as water aerobics, swim lessons, and rehabilitation.
- A wide variety of academic classes are held in our high-tech classroom and the activity areas of our facility.
- A dedicated Wellness Center focused on holistic wellness is a new addition to our facility and programs. One of the fun new programs offered by the Wellness Center is Fresh Fruit Fridays; a program where UW students can stop by the center on any Friday for a piece of fresh fruit.