University of Pittsburgh
The Campus Recreation Department under the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Pittsburgh strives to provide our students with the best collegiate experience in the world. We serve the health and fitness needs of a vibrant and diverse University community, offering programs that are vast, varied, and forever changing.
Being an urban campus has its challenges. The University of Pittsburgh Campus Recreation Department has several facilities and spaces across campus where intramural and recreational activities take place. Each space is scheduled and utilized to serve as many students and University personnel as possible. Our premier fitness facility is the Baierl Student Recreation Center located in the Petersen Events Center. This facility is a 40,000 square foot, student-only facility, that averages around 37,000 check-ins per month. It houses over 70 cardio machines, 40 weight machines, 12 squat racks, 2 cable towers, battling ropes, free weight area, deadlifting area, stretching area, spin/multipurpose room, dance studio, 4 racquetball courts, 2 squash courts, personal training room, locker rooms, and the Campus Recreation Offices.
The Campus Recreation Department offers a wide-range of programs and services. Some of these programs and services include:
- Over 70 competitive and recreational club sports
- 6 different intramural sports and over 15 leagues
- Monthly special events
- Equipment and facility rental
- Between 60-80 different group fitness classes per semester
- Personal training
- Wellness consultations and exercise prescriptions
- The University of Pittsburgh is proud to announce that they will be building a sports dome facility during the Fall of 2016 to serve the entire student population year-round, including those involved in club sports, intramurals, health and physical activity, and other recreational activities. It will be fitted with synthetic turf, security kiosks, and storage facilities (see photo)!
- 2015-2016 saw 1300+ competitive club sports participants, 6000+ intramural participants, 2300+ group exercise participants, and over 100 personal training participants
- The Campus Recreation Department manages a total of 19 recreational facilities, each with a multitude of uses!
- Baierl Student Rec Center: Dance/aerobics room, fitness center, multipurpose room, and racquetball courts
- Bellefield Hall: Dance/aerobics room, fitness center & weight room, basketball court, mat room, and pool
- Cost Sports Complex: Indoor turf field
- Fitzgerald Field House: Multipurpose area, gymnasium, squash courts, indoor track
- Outdoor Basketball Courts
- Outdoor Turf and Baseball Fields (converting to the new sports dome and two other intramural turf fields)
- Trees Hall: Climbing wall/golf practice area, basketball courts, fitness center, multipurpose room, racquetball courts, two pools
- William Pitt Union: Dance/aerobics room, cycling studio, fitness center
- 11 Residence Hall 24-hour fitness centers