The mission of Campus Recreation at Eastern Kentucky University (EKU) is to enhance campus and community life by providing excellent service, programs and education that encourages holistic well-being. The Campus Recreation motto: Deliberately Inspire Colonel Excellence.
- Development: Construct opportunities that encourage personal and professional growth.
- Inclusion: Provide an equal opportunity and experience that is inviting to all dimensions of diversity, and can be adapted to fit all levels of ability.
- Collaboration: Positively impact our community through teamwork and support of our partners to achieve a common goal.
- Excellence: Set the example for exemplary service, programs and educational experiences.
DESCRIPTION OF FACILITY
The Student Recreation Center opened in January 2020 and is home to the department of Campus Recreation. Spanning approximately 130,000 square feet in the heart of EKU’s Campus Beautiful, the Student Recreation Center not only serves faculty, staff and students but also the surrounding communities through membership opportunities and programming:
- Approximately 130,000 square feet.
- Three hardwood basketball courts.
- Multi-activity court.
- Three racquetball courts.
- Cardio, strength and functional training equipment.
- The largest indoor climbing center at an institution within the state of Kentucky, which includes a 38-foot climbing wall and bouldering section.
- An aquatics center includes a zero-entry recreational area, vortex pool, spa, four 25-yard lap lanes, basketball goal, volleyball net and outdoor patio.
- An esports lounge includes 24 Alienware competitive gaming computers, a Full Swing Golf Simulator, gaming consoles and retro arcade games.
- Three group fitness studios.
- Multi-purpose meeting room with functional kitchen appliances and projector screen.
- A three-lane 1/10-mile indoor track.
- Full locker rooms with a sauna.
- HydroMassage beds.
- NuHealth LifeStyle store.
- Each semester, eight to 10 outdoor trips are offered, including climbing in the Red River Gorge, canoeing the Kentucky River, skiing, and snowboarding at Perfect North and backpacking the Smokies. Inclusive trips, such as ASL hikes are also hosted.
- The climbing center regularly hosts unique events throughout the year, partnering with other campus partners. Events include ladies climb night, silent climb, climb with pride and veteran’s climb night.
- The challenge course consists of a low ropes course, aerial team course and tango tower, and is a state-of-the-art facility that allows groups the opportunity to work together through experiential education. The various elements encourage effective communication, confidence, interpersonal skills and teamwork.
- The outdoor rental center provides the right equipment and gear for each season. Individuals can rent bikes, tents, kayaks, canoes, camping equipment and more.
- Swim lessons, group and individual, are offered for all ages.
- Specialized group fitness classes are hosted in the aquatics center, including water aerobics and hydrofit.
- This past year, special events that took place included dive-in movies, canoe battleship, winter splash bash and birthday bashes.
- Currently, Campus Recreation has 13 registered club sports, including archery, bass fishing, rock climbing, and esports. A new club sport, swimming, was recently added.
- Each club sport is self-governed and operates within funding from team fundraising and support from the Student Government Association.
- This past year, EKU partnered with Special Olympics Kentucky to host the first ever virtual Rocket League tournament.
- In addition to Rocket League, our competitive esports teams compete against other universities nationwide in games such as League of Legends, Valorant and more.
- Various esports are also included within our intramural sports calendar, such as FIFA, Madden and NBA2K.
- Each member is eligible for a free two-hour fitness assessment with one of our personal trainers. The assessment includes goal planning, information about our training packages and a mock workout.
- Group fitness classes are available for each member to attend. Led by student instructors, class formats include yoga, cycle, TRX, dance fit and more. Each class provides accommodations for every experience level.
- Personal training packages are available for any member to purchase. The packages vary in sessions and are a great way to start accomplishing any fitness goal. Flexible scheduling is offered based off the client’s availability.
- The health promotion area focuses on creating a campus environment that values and exemplifies health through the eight dimensions of wellness.
- Educational programming includes activities that highlight healthy relationships, managing stress, alcohol awareness and sexual health.
- Smoothie power hour and tasty Tuesday are two popular events hosted by the peer educators that provide healthy and nutritious snacks to patrons.
- Intramural sports offer a variety of fun and unique opportunities to participants through leagues, tournaments and special events.
- Popular sports include flag football, basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer and softball.
- This past year, the program hosted unique events, such as the October Ironman challenge, big pink volleyball tournament, fall powerlifting competition and cooking competition.
- Various divisions are provided for each sport or event, including men’s, women’s, fraternity, sorority and community recreation.
- The youth programs area strives to provide children development opportunities of transferable skills — such as communication, teamwork, listing and critical thinking — through exploration of recreation.
- Colonels Camp — Campus Recreation’s weeklong summer camp sessions — provides youth an interactive experience with not only the Student Recreation Center but also the campus of EKU. For children in kindergarten through sixth grade, activities include swimming, rock climbing, field trips, educational sessions, crafts and more.
- Individuals can celebrate their birthday with Campus Recreation at the Student Recreation Center through our various birthday bash packages. We currently offer a court, wall and pool package, which includes access to our party room.
- Rec the Ravine — Campus Recreation’s signature event takes over the Ravine on campus during the first week of classes to showcase the department and each individual program area.
- Homecoming 5K — In celebration of Homecoming, Campus Recreation hosts a 5K for the campus community, that includes a course through the Campus Beautiful.
- OctSoberFest — Health Promotion’s biggest event helps raise awareness of alcohol education through a variety of activities and programs.
- Zips & Zombies — Campus Recreation transforms the challenge course into a spooktacular night that includes a haunted trail, ziplining, inflatables, a movie, crafts and more.
- The Fitness and Wellness Center, Campus Recreation’s previous facility, can fit entirely in just the three basketball courts of the Student Recreation Center.
Want to stay up-to-date on Campus Recreation at Eastern Kentucky University: