University of California San Diego
San Diego, CA
University of California San Diego Recreation is dedicated to enhancing wellness, fitness and quality of life for students, faculty, staff, and the community by providing facilities, programs, activities and the opportunity to participate in cooperative and competitive programs. Recreation provides life-long fitness, leisure, lifestyle and wellness opportunities.
Recreation facilities are available at RIMAC with a weight room, activity rooms, arena, auxiliary gym, wellness studio. The Main Gym with a weight room, basketball courts, cycling room, gymnastics area, private pilates and massage rooms, indoor swimming pool, sand volleyball court, outdoor tennis and basketball courts. Canyonview Athletic Complex has two outdoor pools, weight room and climbing center. Spanos is a new shared facility with elite lifting equipment and an outdoor conditioning plaza. Other facilities include the Challenge Course, Outback Rental Shop, Outback Surf Shop and some of the best surf in California at Black’s Beach.
The University of California San Diego programs encompass a variety of areas including Informal Recreation – basketball, volleyball, swimming, racquetball, tennis, weight room exercise; Intramural Sports – 30 different on-campus organized team sports and various sporting events throughout the year; FitLife – programs numerous cardio and conditioning classes, yoga, pilates, personal wellness, workshops along with personal training, instructor certifications and massage studio; Masters Program – coached swimming, running and triathlon programs; Mission Bay Aquatic Center – classes and rentals for a variety of water sports in Pacific Beach; Outback Adventures – hiking, backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing, surfing outings and clinics, Challenge Course, Wilderness Orientation and Group Adventures; Rec Classes- fun and games, aquatics, dance, safety, sports, martial arts, children and youth classes/camps; Sports Clubs- 30 competitive clubs.
In addition, the University of California San Diego recreation provides the opportunity for the hundreds of students who are employed in Recreation to learn leadership, management and interpersonal skills in a positive wellness oriented environment.
For faculty, staff and community, Recreation provides instruction, coaching, support, stress reduction, injury prevention and enhanced health and wellness in a variety of lifetime sports and fitness activities.
- Every year the University of California San Diego Recreation hosts a Welcome Week Event “Meet the Beach” down the street at Scripps pier in La Jolla, where over 3,500 first year students are introduced to their new backyard and get to sample Recreation activities including surfing, kayaking, beach Yoga and Zumba, volleyball, soccer, agility courses and receive free lunch with a Recreation beach towel.
- We have a wide selection of Sports Clubs including dragon boat, cricket, lacrosse, rugby and more!
- Campus Recreation employs over 400 student staff members
- We have over 90 Outback trips a year, with a diverse range of options from boarding at Bear Mountain to surfing La Jolla shores and going down South to Mexico for exploration on horseback.
- Our Main Gym facility holds aerial silk platforms where student and staff can learn the art of silk acrobatics like what is performed in Cirque du Soleil.
- Every quarter students can enroll in an eight-week Student Personal Wellness Program, each week is a different topic/workout taught by a FitLife Trainer and Dietician. A personalized workout and diet plan are designed for each participant at the end of the class. Teaching students how to manage their health in a high-stress academic setting.
- UC San Diego Recreation shares an outdoor waterfront facility with San Diego State called the Mission Bay Aquatic Center located on Mission Bay. Activities include sailing, surfing, water skiing, paddle boarding and more!
Images courtesy of University of California San Diego.